Mad Monday

Inverurie Locos 6 Turriff United 5

Inverurie Locos and Turriff United produced an early contender for game of the season on a chilly Monday night at Harlaw Park. Locos looked to pick up from where they left off against Fraserburgh last week in the Under 17s encounter. The home side started the match the stronger of the two sides, winning a corner after only a few minutes, but it was to come to nothing. They continued to dominate the early stages, and this time even pulled in front through Seb Holod, who prodded home past the advancing keeper after some tidy play by Sol Collins. Locos looked to be in the mood tonight, it was Jack Mckenzie’s turn to have a shot at goal on the ten minute mark, but his shot was saved comfortably. Turriff may have been on the back foot but they were still very much battling away early on, their first real chance coming when Scott Coull gave up procession in his own half, allowing Bruno Demembe to drive at goal, although before he had a chance to get a shot away he was hauled down by Marc O’Donnell in what looked to be inside the box, although Turriff’s appeals were ignored and a free kick was given on the edge instead, with O’Donnell going into the book. The resulting free kick was well blocked and scarpered away to safety. After the freekick Locos were back on the prowl, Fraser Bruce and Holod linked up in devastating fashion, leaving the keeper with no chance. Five minutes later the railway men had the ball in the back of the net again this time through Ciaran Bloomer, whose back post rocket nestled in the side of the goal. Locos ball was in full flow and the Harlaw Park outfit were absolutely rampant. A fourth goal was added on the 25 minute mark, this time it was hand wrapped and gifted to Locos, a breakdown in communication between the Turriff keeper and his backline allowed Seb to score what appeared to be the most laidback and out of nowhere goal the Under 17s Highland League will ever see! They all count the same however, and it was 4-0 with 30 minutes on the clock. Debembe seemed to be the only real threat to Locos, his pace and movement was asking constant questions, but thankfully the back line had all the right answers. All their good work was undone however after a free kick on the halfway line was launched into the box, scrambled around and eventually forced past O’Donnell who really couldn’t do anything about it. The clean sheet was down the drain, but there was even more goals to come as we approached the interval. A flowing team move was slammed home for five and just as Locos seemed to reach the break relatively unscathed they suffered a blow as Flynn Scott was forced into coming off after damaging his ankle making a strong sliding tackle. The second half of action was a scrappier affair. Ross Clelland started brightly for the visitors, his movement was causing a handful of problems for the Locos but they looked like they were going to be able to control the waves of attacks they faced. Things started to go pear-shaped however when before ten minutes had even been played of the half Turriff had grabbed a second, this time it was a bullet like header that looked like it could have burst the net. They continued their quest to take something out of the game when the same man popped up with another goal, reducing the deficit even more. There was a reason for mild panic in the Locos camp, but things looked to have eased for them when an audacious lob from Jack Mcdonald flew over the keeper and looked to have put the game to bed. Things are never easy however, and Turriff wouldn’t let up, Debembe’s pace was too much to handle for Coull as the clock ran down, as he caught his heels inside the box the referee had no option but to point to the spot. The penalty was smashed home, and we were far from over for one night. With two minutes on the clock, as the phrase goes “it really was squeaky bum time” as Turriff managed to just about scrape the ball over the line, and suddenly the game was hanging by a thread for Locos. As they clung on to the slim lead for dear life, hearts were in mouths up and down the country as the away side won a corner deep inside injury time, only for the header to slowly but surely drop onto the roof of the net, instead of creep inside it. An enthralling early season game ended with three points for the young locos, but only just! Next up for the 17s is a trip to Formartine next Monday. O’Donnell, Johnston, Duthie, Coull, Scott, Mckenzie (Jack), Bloomer, Collins, Dalgarno, Holod, Bruce, Sandilands, Mckenzie (Sean), Macdonald, Taylor 

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square